From:
"Akerlund, Janie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:54:18 -0700
I just had another family report instant improvement in nipple comfort post frenotomy.  This baby had a severe tongue tie born just before Memorial Day weekend so a longer than usual delay in getting the procedure done, moms nipples were very beat up. Today babe is gaining well and mom is perfectly comfortable and without damage.

I have seen several posts recently suggesting that all babies with tongue tie require follow-up for suck problems and was very surprised as that has not been my experience at all.  I would guess that over the past 10 years I have seen about 80% of frenotomies immediately solve the suck problem as evidenced by the mothers comfort level and subsequently the babes adequate weight gain.  The other 20% do require more long-term help to achieve a comfortable feeding, a tiny percentage never get there.

Are the successes we see possibly because we get them done so quickly here?  I am eager to hear what others have seen.

Janie Akerlund RN IBCLC
PeaceHealth Nurse-Midwifery Birth Center
Eugene, Oregon

This message is intended solely for the use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable state and federal laws. If you are not the addressee, or are not authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, distribute, or disclose to anyone this message or the information contained herein. If you have received this message in error, immediately advise the sender by reply email and destroy this message.