From:
Alice Roddy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:11:33 -0800
 Nikki Lee wrote:
Another interesting way to build a class is to go

 Nikki Lee wrote:
Another interesting way to build a class is to go  around the room and
ask people what they have heard about breastfeeding that  they didn't like.
Write down everything that is said verbatim on the board, and  VOILA, you have an
outline for that class.

This needs to be done with care lest people remember what they saw on the blackboard but not that it wasn't true. Research (on a topic other than breastfeeding) showed that when
information was presented in a myth vs. fact format, some people would remember
the myth but not the correction. Avoid having someone later quote you giving out misinformation. It's true that it is good to know what people
believe so that we can make our comments relevant to their needs but it needs
to be done in such a way that no one can remember us stating a myth even if
our intention is to destroy it. I would write down the negatives privately so that I could address them but would hesitate to write it on a board for all to see and remember.

Alice
Roddy

Breastfeeding is the biological norm for infants. It is a relationship that provides food, connection, protection from illness to the baby and stress reducing hormones to the mother.