Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 21:09:48 +1000
Hello kathy, Sometimes I suggest to Mums to take a photo of their baby and
look at it when they are expressing. It also helps if they are relaxed, have
a meal or something to eat before expressing. A quiet, semi-darkened room
with 'mood' music can add something.  Mothers should be stress-free, so a
listening ear has it's place if necessessary. I have found parents love the
idea to obtain a soft toy and have the Mother place it under her (unwashed)
arm and sleep on it overnight, then leave the toy in the cot with the baby.
The thought is that baby thinks Mother is nearby.  Likewise, if Mum can
bring a shirt off her baby and smell it before expressing, it may also help
with prolonging expressing. A.Stolz RM IBCLC in sunny Queensland.