Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:43:50 -0400
Hi all.  I have been quiet as of late because I have been moved this
year into the academically gifted magnet program (as a teacher not as
a student :-P )  at my school and my students are REALLY keeping me
busy!  They're bright and funny and I'm teaching the BF part of the
health curriculum to them next week. :)

At any rate, there are two teachers at school this year with new
little ones.  Both are pumping twice during the school day.  One
teacher has a private office and so has no trouble pumping and her
schedule in class fits her pumping needs nicely.  However, the other
teacher who deals with the special education students is having a VERY
hard time getting TIME to pump and a PLACE to pump.

The principal has told her there's no place save the bathroom (not
true-- there ARE unused classrooms/ spaces).  She CANNOT leave her
students (but she doesn't get a planning period because it's a self
contained spec. ed. class) during the day, according to the
principal-- although she has TWO assistants and no more than 5-6 kids.
I have volunteered to step in  to supervise the children  as a
certified teacher during my planning period, but this was also nixed.
Quite frankly, I think the principal has serious issues with nursing-
she's pushing 50, adopted a baby two years ago, stays at school until
7 pm and from various discussions we've had is a very detached parent.

Anyway, this lengthy post is mostly to ask what legal responsibility,
if any, the school has to provide her with time (at least) to pump?
IS there any legal responsibility?  We're in North Carolina.

Thanks.

Teresa G.