From:
Winifred Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:22:52 -0500
It really bothers me when we talk about a mother's right to nurse her baby any place she has the right to be.  I think it is this approach that leads to most of the objections that opponents raise.  If it was just about the mother's right, then many of the opposing arguments begin to gain credence.  What we are really talking about is the BABY's right to feed/seek comfort when and where ever it may be when that need arises.  Let's face it, taling about denying a right to baby will gain lots more sympathy than talking abot the right of an adult, where some can twist it to be equal to the right of other adults to not see something that they happen to find offensive.    By emohasizing that it is the BABY's right, we can say that the normally feeding baby should have equal rights to the artificially feeding baby.  Have you ever seen a baby who is being bottle fed restricted to feeding in a bathroom or dressing stall?  To mee this is just as important of a paradigm shift as when we change statements from "benefits of breastfeeding" to "risks/hazards of not breastfeeding/artificial feeding".

Winnie