From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 00:48:43 +0200
Dear listchildren,
Since I'm ahead of most of you, at GMT + 1, it is September 11 as I write.
I'm off to bed shortly, but before I go, I want to thank you all for being
there.  A year ago Lactnet, like everything else, was shaken by events as
far off topic as we can get, but we kept on focusing on breastfeeding.

I like it that I can say, if anyone asks me Where I Was When, that I was
reading Lactnet, and had just received an e-mail from a Lactnet friend in
Manhattan.  I was halfway around the world, but I was in her home.  I wrote
to some of the others I knew lived on that island, and through the next days
Lactnet was my lifeline.  It was awesome the way people cared for each
other, and stayed mostly on topic too.

For me, it helped to think of all the sides having mothers and babies who
needed help to get together.  And it felt right to be in communication with
Lactnetters close to the spots where planes had crashed, and people died.  I
appreciated that we were able to continue focusing on breastfeeding, and
still help each other.

A lot has happened since that day a year ago.  This is not the place to
discuss those events, for which I am infinitely grateful.  We all need a
safe haven and this is one of mine.  I am so glad we are using this list for
the same purpose as always, helping mothers and babies with breastfeeding.
I wish for each of you, the opportunity to help someone in a small but
significant way, getting breastfeeding right, today.

Rachel Myr
one listmother, but mostly just one mother
Kristiansand, Norway