From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 08:03:21 PDT
7-30-98

Consumer Reports:

I saw your feature on disposable diapers in the August 98 issue (p. 55).
I know you had to use something to portray how much fluid a diaper
holds. However, please consider using another symbol (a measuring cup?)
in future issues.

The feeding bottle as a symbol for babies is very pervasive in the
media.  Numerous health organizations, struggling to promote the much
healthier choice of breastfeeding, would like to see that changed.  In a
recent policy statement (Dec 97), The American Academy of Pediatrics
states that practitioners should "encourage the media to portray
breastfeeding as positive and the norm."

Since your magazine is concerned with helping families make important
choices, making a simple change in your graphics, as requested above,
could help with this important health campaign.

Sincerely,
Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Louisiana Breastfeeding MediaWatch Campaign
[address and phone omitted here]

Note: The Louisiana Breastfeeding MediaWatch Campaign is part of the
National Breastfeeding MediaWatch Campaign, sponsored by the Texas Dept
of Health, an ongoing project of the Bureau of Clinical and Nutrition
Services.  For more information, call (512) 406-0744.