From:
Christine Pillado <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:42:02 EDT
Not only should the parents get another PED but they need to write a letter
to the board for their state making a formal complaint against the doctor and
encourage any other parents of his patients with similar situations to do the
same.  Assumption being he does this to other children/parents also.
I am continuely amazed at the procedures and practices that some health care
providers perform on children without an explanation.  I talk to moms about
being very clear with their children's docs/RNs/LPN etc. that they (the parents)
MUST be informed prior to a procedure (unless it is an emergency, obviously).
 I think that breastfeeding makes moms more willing to stand up and say
something where they might not otherwise because they learn to read their baby's
cues better and faster and have a better bond with their child.  Besides, this
is really good practice for responding to those people who make comments about
how to raise your child (i.e. breastfeeding in public, wearing a child,
co-sleeping etc.).
Would he do this to an adult without informed consent?  That answer might be
yes, in which case, does he need to be working with people?
Christie Pillado
El Paso, TX