From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2007 19:41:46 -0600
Karen, I think the asymetrical latch where you start with the baby's chin touching mom's breast and the nipple on the fultrim (spelling?) or the nose is very effective and you almost always get a big wide mouth once they tip back and open up. Pulling the baby in from inches away after he opens wide is not that effective as you mention.
Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC

"I think the lc's should have a discussion about this topic. I am not sure
the big wide mouth is the way to teach latch on anymore.

Putting baby in control of the latch does not always result in a big wide
mouth that mom can see before bringing that baby to the breast. Babies get
the big wide mouth by planting their chins and tipping their heads back.

What do the rest of you think?
KK"