From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 14:29:15 -0500
I must admit I was reassured watching a "morning TV show" in which various
pediatricians mentioned this evening fussiness as "normal" and "caused by
the baby's immature nervous system" rather than blaming breastfeeding or
recommending change after change of formula.

THEN here comes Katherine Dettwyler making me uncomfortable again - and
making me THINK.  One of the big differences between my first baby (who had
colic) and the others, was the fact that I forgot about "schedules" - not
the baby's - I mean my schedule.  I rested with the babies (or hired a
little girl across the street who was too young to babysit but could be my
eyes and ears while I rested in the next room with just the baby in bed
with me), cooked in the early morning when I had most energy (I made lots
of soups and casseroles and salads), and in general tried to follow my own
body's energy rhythms - in fact, other than La Leche League Meetings, I was
in bed early - I ran the LLL Evaluation meetings in my home in the
mornings, as that was less stressful for me than getting two or three kids
ready to go somewhere.  We went to church on Sundays - but which mass we
went to depended on the timing of the feeds and my ability to get everyone
ready (with Daddy's help), etc.

A working mom with a fixed schedule does not have this luxury - but some
have found ways of being flexible.  My sister in law worked 2/3 day, but
took her break in the noon hour - so she could breastfeed and rest then go
back to work.

So - to those who can, perhaps we can recommend a flexible lifestyle - and
to the others, understanding , compassion, love, reminding them to feed
themselves and rest whenever possible.

It is true, though, that this late afternoon fussiness (I called it "from
news through Johnny Carson" as it lasted in my house from about 6 pm to
about midnight) seems to end at about three months (the pediatricians again
referred to the maturing nervous system).

I'd love to hear your ways of helping moms through this, as there are lots
of calls of this nature - and at times, the search for an allergy or
another cause can be more stressful than just coping and surviving it!

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, IBCLC, LLLL
Vacaville, CA