From:
Elizabeth Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 2010 06:41:17 -0400
I like to say that 4-year-old boys and lactation consultants love to talk
about poop.

In a non-accusatory way, explore with Mom everything going into her mouth
besides the elimination-of-diary-and-soy diet.  Teas, medicines and vitamins
can be the culprit, and moms don't think of these things as part of the
"diet."  Gently ask  whether the baby is getting anything *other* than
breastmilk (including vitamins and medicines). You'd be amazed how many
people think they are  "exclusively BF" when Dad (or whomever) is giving one
"relief bottle" of formula a day.

(On a separate rant, who ever came up with *that* phrase?  Exactly what is
it that mom needs so much "relief" from?  Feeding the baby at breast one
time in ten today?  So instead, we'll make her investigate pumps, call
around to find one, go to the store, agonize over which one to buy, get it
home, read complex instructions, use pump and get "nothing," freak out about
supply, finally pump an ounce, agonize over which bottle and teat to buy to
"avoid nipple confusion", have Dad give  the bottle, lie wake anyway
agonizing whether Baby took it OK, wake up engorged to find unwashed bottle
sitting on coffee table.  Yeah -- I feel the relief washing over Mom right
now.)

Green mucousy foul stools don't sound right to me either but if the
bloodiness is now gone, my guess is that it was the dairy in Mom's diet ...
and baby may need a few more weeks for the GI to completely heal.

Liz Brooks JD IBCLC FILCA
Wyndmoor, PA, USA