From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2011 07:08:32 -0700
Although the pumps that I learned about were both from one company, I don't think that it is a problem of only this company.  It is the recommended process of wearing a pump inside a device that keeps pressure on the breast.  It probably also depends on how often do the moms pump.  Those moms that only pump at work, but breastfeed without pumping the rest of the time, probably have fewer problems (although I don't know this for a fact).

The moms who reported plugged ducts to me were pumping almost all around the clock.  One was pumping "to make sure I make enough" (and had developed an excessive milk supply), another was pumping and bottle feeding breast milk (both of these are now exclusively breastfeeding, but hand expressing to comfort as their milk production was too high for the size of baby they have today).

The first mom then chose to follow her MDs instructions to pump and store her milk but give baby special, antiallergic formula to deal with bloody stools (see my other series of messages on that topic).  She just e-mailed me  - we had been discussing how baby would take to breastfeeding again - no problem, baby took the breast easily - 45 minutes the first time and 2 more times last night!

She reported that with the hand expression after pumping she was able to prevent any plugged ducts from forming - although this had been her biggest worry.  She was SO grateful for the information and the video on hand expression that I had shared with her from Jane Morton's Stanford set... http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

By the way, we need more videos with hand expression to be on YouTube - I've been very unhappy with most of the ones I see - they show a lot of pinching at the nipple!

Jeanette Panchula
California

....got to go to work...