From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 13:31:28 -0500
I don't think I have ever seen any studies that have addressed this,
because, of course, most mothers would not know if their babies got one
bottle (in the nursery, from anxious grandmother while mother has been
sent on a walk, etc).  It would be an impossible study.

However, theoretically, even one taste of cow milk protein in the first
few weeks of life could set you up for the cascade of events which lead
to juvenile diabetes or allergies.  I asked this of Dr. Dosch, one of
the authors of the study:

Karjalainen J, Martin JM, Knip M, Ilonen J, Robinson BH, Savilahti E, et
al. A bovine albumin peptide as a possible trigger of insulin-dependent
diabetes mellitus. N Eng J Med 1992;327:302-7

He is in the "et al" part.  According to him, there is nothing in the
theoretical aspects of the way they see this happening that would
require more than a taste of cow milk protein.