From:
Anne Eglash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2013 12:21:17 -0600
Actually, I have been working on this issue of lack of continuity of
care from hospital to outpt setting.
      I received a grant in the fall to develop a 'Office-Nurse
Breastfeeding Champion' curriculum, 16 hours of training. The goal is to
train 1 RN in each primary care office in our University of Wisconsin
Medical system (23 nurses at this point) to become expert breastfeeding
triage nurses, and to teach them certain skills, such as how to teach
pump use, how to look at a latch, how to look at a growth curve, and how
to do pre-post feed weights. Most of what I am teaching is expert
triage, so that they know what to advise parents when they call, steps
parents can take before an appt with an LC or mom/baby provider.  They
would basically be assistants to LCs. I don't think the lactation
educator program fits the bill because office nurses need very specific
triage skills. The curriculum comes with electronic medical record tools
for triage, designed for EPIC.
We start our curriculum in a week, and we are all very excited. I feel
that this would help to close that gap from the hospital to the medical
home. We plan to teach the hospital nurses and LCs about the nurse
champions, so that they can refer moms with problems to the nurse
champion right away, so the nurse champion can triage care for the dyad.
Anne

Anne Eglash MD, FABM, IBCLC
Clinical Professor
Dept of Family Medicine
Medical Director UW Lactation Clinic
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
600 N. 8th St.
Mount Horeb, WI, 53572
608-437-3064 (O)
608-437-4542 (fax)