Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2015 12:52:29 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
As an OB nurse I was the one working with nipple shields in the hospital and it was not until I became a private practice LC with a scale, that I realized how many babies get absolutely nothing through the shield. They can't get milk out. This can be catastrophic for milk supply if it not addressed. If i were writing hospital policy, I would advise pumping after every single feeding and offer any expressed milk back to baby until you can demonstrate that the baby is able to transfer milk. Ideally that would be demonstrated via a before and after feeding weight check. If this is not possible then once the milk is in and she wants to start weaning from pumping and offering expressed milk, the baby should be weighed at least evey 5 days or so, until weight gain with shield alone can be validated. I would also make sure that they understand that a baby who falls asleep very quickly at the breast and then cries when removed from the breast, may be showing signs of isufficient transfer. And count those urinations. 
Kathy Lilleskov RN IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2