From:
Kirsten Berggren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 11:11:58 -0400
When dealing with moms who are resistant, for whatever reason, about
breastfeeding, I
can't recommend highly enough Cathy Carrothers' 3-step counseling
techniques. You won't
get every mom breastfeeding, but often you'll find out the real reason
why she won't, and
once you have that, you can at least educate around the right concerns.
She gave a great presentation on the methods at ILCA in 2005, which I
think you can still
purchase - but I don't know if it's available in audio or video. You
can also purchase
the 3-step counseling training pack to do the trainings yourself - we
just did one for a
local WIC office, and they really appreciated the new skills.
I have no financial interest in this, but for those of us without
formal counseling
training, I can only say that it was a really big help for me - it
taught me a formal way
to remember to shut up and listen.

Kirsten Berggren, PhD, CLC