From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 07:37:31 -0800
 Ilene:  It sounds as though you are right on top of things, but I would
make a few more comments.   First, breast tissue, including lactiferous
ducts, extend up under the armpit.  This is the reason that Breast Self
Exam should include an exam under the arm pit.  Second, I would check out
what type of bra she is wearing. Underwires can cause the underarm ducts to
plug.  If this is truly a plugged duct, uncomplicated by infection, then
going braless, deep massage--including breast compression during nursing,
using gravity while feeding and changing feeding positions freqently should
help.  Of course there's always cabbage leaves too.  If this is not a
ductal issue and really is a lymph node, I would see if mom shaves her arm
pits.  This practice can cause minor infections which cause lymph nodes to
flare up (I've personally experienced this).  If that isn't the case, then
check out her other lymph nodes on that side of the body, especially in the
neck region.  If the lump just appeared over night, the likelihood of
cancer is miniscule (but not zero).  In any case, this mom can increase her
vitamin C consumption and start echinacea.  If plugged ducts become a
repeated problem, then B-Complex, thyme, and lecithin can also be added.  I
hope this helps.

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]   : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340    : )
: )LLLLLLLLLLLLL**CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL : )