From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:43:11 EDT
Dear Friends:
    Rachel Carson published a classic text back  in 1962 about the impact of
chemicals on living things.
    "Silent Spring alerted a large audience to the  environmental and human
dangers of indiscriminate use of pesticides, spurring  revolutionary changes in
the laws affecting our air, land, and water. "Silent  Spring became a runaway
bestseller, with international reverberations . . . [It  is] well crafted,
fearless and succinct . . . Even if she had not inspired a  generation of
activists, Carson would prevail as one of the greatest nature  writers in American
letters" (Peter Matthiessen, for Time"s 100 Most Influential  People of the
Century). Carson defended truths in the face of ruthless  assault from the
chemical industry in the year following the publication of  Silent Spring and before
her untimely death in 1964."
    Many other researchers have made the connection  between artificial
chemicals (i.e. man-made) and reproductive tract alteration  in species. From the
weakened eggshells in birds to lowered sperm counts and  genitourinary
malformations in humans, we are seeing the impact of chemistry on  our young now.

    Like global warming, this is a controversial area, with
politics/economics on one side and health on the other.

    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct  Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com