From:
Jennifer tieman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:27:57 -0500
I have been musing again about the poor continuance rate for breastfeeding
in my community.  I have pretty good success in encouraging moms to initiate
breastfeeding (my patients have the highest initiation rates of any of the
docs who attend deliveries here) but still have a lot of moms who wean very
early, and very few who practice exclusive breastfeeding.

The last couple days I have seen in follow up several moms and babies who
weaned very early, either due to difficulties getting going initially, or
other more obscure reasons.  I had one mom telling me how hard breastfeeding
was for her, since she had to be available 24-7, no one else could take her
place,  family wasn't supportive and the baby didn't even seem to appreciate
it (because in that newborn phase he only slept, ate, and fussed for the
most part.)  I felt so sad for her that she never got to enjoy the
breastfeeding relationship, but quit while it was still more chore than
anything else.

As I am now nursing an older baby, I am reminded daily of all the joys of
nursing an older baby, and am trying to share these with my patients who are
struggling through those early, frustrating days.  I think too often in the
US we tend to see breastfeeding as some duty moms fulfill for the health of
their children, and don't always appreciate the joy and pleasure both
parties get from the breastfeeding relationship.
In the early days, my little girl was all about the milk and getting fed,
but now she so clearly loves me and enjoys nursing for the closeness and
comfort as well as the milk.  She smiles at me constantly while nursing, and
often latches on with a dramatic flourish that would make you think she
hadn't eaten in a month.  (She has a new method I call "leading with the
tongue"  She lunges toward the breast with her tongue hanging out, then as
soon as her tongue touches me, she throws her head back and her mouth wide
open and executes a perfect assymetric latch.  I actually really appreciate
the protruding tongue, as it completely covers her razor sharp new teeth!)

So many moms I assist have never seen a nursing baby, or if they have, their
experience is limited to the newborn or young baby stage.  I'm trying hard
now to tell all new moms in the first days that breastfeeding won't always
be work, especially those moms who are struggling with problems in the first
days.  I wish I could loan every new mom a day with an experienced, happy
older baby!  Since that's probably out of the question, what are some ideas
others are using to promote continued breastfeeding out there?

Jennifer Tieman
Family Physician
Mom to 4, including nursling Caroline Rose, born 5/31/03