From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 09:08:13 EST
Susan, I totally agree. This theme on ''when to touch" "permission to touch"
"can you be an LC and not touch"? We have lost sight on what we are to do for
our clients. When a mom and baby come to see me I do ask before examing her
breast but there is no written consent. Also I state that I need to look at
the baby, if the parents told me I could not I wouldn't but I would find this
odd.
This paranoia on possibly being sued if we touch our clients may be some of
the reasons we see less attachment with parents and their babies. Appropriate
touching is good and definitely has a place in our roles. Besides the clinical
reasons to touch, there is the compassionate touch and the congratulations
touch. Be sensitive to your clients, watch their body language, if they are
uncomfortable with touch you can see it, or you can ask.
Please folks, let's get back to our love's work and show parents that touching
is a wonderful thing and we would like to use it ad lib with this new baby.
I just had to add my 0.2, now I will get off the soap box.
One more thought: I had a wonderful nursing professor who taught legal issues
in medicine. She said it is important to not make mistakes but most important
is to show compassion and that you are trying your best and that is what the
patient will remember.

Ann Perry RN IBCLC
Boston,Mass