From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 2009 00:43:41 +0100
____

Mother is nursing 9 mos old and wants to continue breastfeeding for as
long as possible. Before pregnancy was diagnosed with blood disorder
which required bi-weekly blood transfusions from which she developed
severe iron overload.

Starting getting better and no longer needed transfusions. still anaemic
but the biggest concern is her iron levels are still very high and dr
would like to start chelation therapy asap. As compromise mother has
asked to wait 4 mos until baby is 13 mos old (to wean) but dr keen to
start asap and wants her to wean NOW.

Mother would like to know if there are bf-compatiable options ...

dr would like to start her on Exjade (in pill form)--however mother
reports prior allergic reaction... if this happens again then she'd be
treated with Desferral via subcue injections with a pump.

I realise this quite uncommon (and this mother is stateside so apologies
if these are the American names of meds) but mother has had extremely
rough three years... pregnancy was unplanned (she was on the pill) and v
stressful given her very scary year with this blood disorder and as
breastfeeding is going so well and has been such a blessing she doesn't
want to just give up just like that....

any and all help info would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks
georgia
bfc, london
p.s if someone could forward this on to LACTNET too I'd appreciate
it.... they can contact me directly on [log in to unmask]
<mailto:giaraphael%40yahoo.com>

-----
I'll forward on any replies in here.

Morgan Gallagher