From:
The Murphy Clan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 23:15:25 -0700
I frequently check the magazines to see what kind of BF advice/info is being dished out each month. A special pregnancy issue of Shape had 2 short blips on BF one stated breastmilk was sweet and (husbands) should go ahead and taste it.

Parenting magazine had 2 very irritating articles in it. At first glance the article entitled "Your Amazing Breasts"  appeared to be positive about breastfeeding. Actually, it was packed with negative remarks relating to BF (stretch marks, crusty discharge, never return to previous tautness, gravitational drag of enlarged breasts, engorged or hard and uncomfortable, nipple irritation, nipple pain, stretched skin...leaving a looser, more teardrop-shaped breast than before pregnancy). Engorgement is mentioned several times as well as pain, mastitis, yeast. Some of the information included: "must take entire nipple and (their italics on and) areola into mouth" (I pity those poor women with extremely large areolas trying to imagine their newborn getting it all into mouth), and more: "make sure your nipple will protrude enough for baby to get hold of", "if your going to breastfeed, start trying (what does she mean try?) within an hour of delivery, if possible", "if you don't intend to nurse, the milk making process is easily discouraged...wear a snug fitting bra, a tightly wrapped towel, or a compression bandage..."  the offhanded high note is: "on the positive side, nursing decreases a woman's risk of breast cancer later in life." Immediately followed by a low: "Count your blessings, even if they're two fewer than before" and "a lot of women are disappointed to find that when pregnancy and nursing are all over they have smaller or different shaped breasts than before" and final sentence is: I'd happily lose a cup size for her."
And of course to top it all off there is a conveniently placed ad for Formula along with a card to get a formula company magazine. The author's credentials: she "reviews software for Parenting and writes frequently on other topics" I guess one doesn't need to really know anything about the subject they write about, even when it involves a major health issue! This article certainly wasn't meant to encourage a woman to breastfeed.
Article number 2 in same magazine which is also accompanied by a formula ad (which has a bottle and a very ironic caption: "Scary, isn't it?") this article is entitled "What does a baby cost?" I have read several articles like this and of course breastfeeding is not mentioned, but of course formula is. Though I think they are probably estimating low on its cost as they lumped formula, diapers, baby food together and only came up with $1,250. They neglected to put any info on healthcare costs related to formula use.
Both articles literally made me sick to my stomach! Am I paranoid or does this reek of a conspiracy here? the final insult came from an Avent ad with a large caption "All You Need To Breastfeed Your Baby" I thought breasts were all you needed!
Patty Murphy [log in to unmask]
Feeling betrayed and deceived in S. Lake Tahoe, California