From:
"Deborah L. Tobin, RN, BSN. IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 15:48:50 -0500
From:    Deena Zimmerman MD MPH <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: spinal for c section
Why use a spinal for a c section rather than an epidural. With an epidural
you can give post operative patient controlled anesthesia via the epidural.
It is wonderful (if you need the c section to begin with).  I am speaking
from personal as well as professional experience here.>>

Maybe in some parts of the country/world, epidural anesthesia is not as
frequently used as spinal. My understanding is that epidural placement
requires more skill than spinal. Properly administered, epidural would cause
*less* loss of pushing abilities than a spinal and would wear off quicker
than a spinal. So, this is better than spinal for BF initiation. Unless a
larger area of effect is needed, or the care provider is not experienced in
epidural placement, an epidural would be preferred. Eh? (oh my, its catchy).
Why else would a doc choose spinal?

Deb