From:
Crazymom12 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 05:33:03 EST
In a message dated 1/29/98 12:32:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, CTNeary writes:

<< but don't believe in making mothers feel guilty if they choose not to.
 (neither do I.)  I also got a lot of "well my baby was bottle fed and she's
 just fine." >>

Forgive me I'm going to rant here.........

I'm so tired of hearing about "mother's guilt"!  What about the innocent baby
who is denied " the best".  When a woman becomes a mother she accepts the
responsibility of providing for her child, including breastmilk.  What gives
any mother the right to deny her child something that may affect it's health
for that child's entire life, just because it's "inconvenient" to her?  When
you look at the superiority of breastmilk over formula, a mother should feel
guilty when she makes an educated "choice" to formula feed.  It is also every
mother's responsilility to educate herself on the best choices for her
child......I'm also so tired of hearing  " I didn't know breastmilk was so
much better".... Ignorance is no excuse.
Yes there are mother's who say, ""well my baby was bottle fed and she's
 just fine."  but do they know how fine that child will be tomorrow when they
are diagnosed with diabetes or heart disease later in life?
Making mother's feel guilty about choosing to formula feeding is irrelevant!
The child's lifelong health is the only issue.

Thanks for letting me vent!.........(wishing I could say these things to
mom's)
Jonella Payne, RN,BSN