From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:11:13 +0800
Lana Hergott wrote:
>  She claims her baby was
>tested and is lactose intolerant (according to her pediatrition).  I said
>she was probably sensitive to cows milk protein, not lactose, but she
>insists it's the lactose she is intolerant to. Can anyone tell me, is
>breastmilk not full of lactose?  I've had many clients lately telling me
>their doctors have told them their babies are lactose intolerent & SOY ABM
>is the only choice.  Maybe the lactose in cows milk is what they are
>sensitive to.  Is it different? .

I have an article on-line on the Australian Breastfeeding Association
website about this topic. Maybe this can help. See
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/lactose.html

Note also that lactose is a disaccharide sugar (ie two basic sugar
molecules joined together - glucose and galactose) and is chemically
the same in all animals. So cow lactose is identical to human
lactose. And yes, breastmilk is 'full of lactose'!