Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 17:07:52 -0500
>I have a client who has had a hx of chronic mastitis and abscess formation.
>Her baby is  15 months now. A ultrasound has picked up several lumps in one
>breast and the docs want to do a mamogram. The Radiologist doesn't want to
>do the mamogram because he thinks the baby shouldn't get the radiation
>exposure via the radiated breastmilk. So,they won't do the mamogram until
>she weans. I have never heard this before. Radiation exposure? Can any of
>you help me with references that would document that this is not a problem
>for the baby.

Star, there are a number of posts in the archives on the topic of X rays
and breastfeeding. Xrays are meant to pass through the body. They don't
stay in the tissue and certainly not in breastmilk.

I don't have any references for you but HCPs on Lactnet have assured
mothers that any Xrays are OK with breastfeeding.