From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 11:21:12 -0500
I wanted to update everyone about some situations I have previously posted
about.  Re: the children's hospital  neo and NP (husband and wife pair) who
are undermining bfdng so effectively, I am starting a letter-writing
campaign, thanks to Coach Linda's suggestion.  I understand from other LC's
that this hospital has quite a reputation all over the state for this.  I
even knew the situation wasn't good when I lived in a town several hours
from here.  Our babies got shipped to this hospital when very sick and we
had to deal with parents frustrations when the babies came back home re:
poor bfdng support they had gotten.   I'm telling my fellow LC's to tell any
moms they know  with bad experiences to write letters.  We can't change much
b/c of the power of these 2 individuals, but if the top management begins to
see the reputation they have about this, they could enforce some changes.

Re: our state perinatal organization's publication of an article that
unequivocally blasted co-sleeping and used Babywise as a reference.  Thanks
to input from people I was put in contact with through this list, and the
letters a bunch of us wrote, they are convening a meeting with James McKenna
in March to come up with a list of guidelines for safe co-sleeping!  And
they are printing an apology for using Babywise as a reference.   Wow, the
ability to effect change through this community is awesome!

Finally, re: the limits placed on my practice by the medical director.  I
have spoken with the manager of post-partum here and, as suspected, these
limits were made by the director to satisfy his boss, the neo mentioned
above!  I could probably also find a way to tie him to the Co-sharing thing,
but I won't bore you with that!  I told you he had a lot of power!  Anyway,
I am compiling research on the practices they are prohibiting and hope to be
able to present it in the near future.  We are a research hospital, after
all, so I hope that will make a difference!  Wow, it's been a busy month for
me, but it's great to see some progress.  You all are a wonderful resource.
Thanks!

Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations
as all other earthly causes combined.
                                John S. C. Abbot