Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 17:39:08 EST
Dear Lactnetters, I have a mom with a 8 week old baby. Mom was admitted to
the hospital with a severe left breast abscess. It required surgery with
three drains and they got 400cc's of pus and fluid. There were 3 deep
abscessed area's. Her breast looked terrible. Her supply was depleting on the
right breast which is another whole story in itself that I won't go into here
and she had not nursed on the left breast for day's because it was too
painful, she did pump that side.
The issue now is that her surgeon wants her to wean from the unaffected
breast because he thinks it will delay healing and prevent the milk from
drying up in the affected breast. her OB supports the breast surgeon in this
and now mom is confused and is not sure what to do. The plan on discharge
from the hospital was to work on getting the supply back up in the right
breast and to shut down the left breast. Mom cannot bear to touch that breast
it is still so sensitive. If her milk is still draining from the drain sites
on friday the Dr's are going to insist she wean and I think she will go with
that. Does anyone have any info on shutting down one breast. I have read the
info from Ruth Lawrence on breast abscess.
 I would appreciate any input you have on this. Nuala Murphy RN IBCLC My
e-mail address is [log in to unmask]