Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:16:58 -0500
I don't think there are any references pertaining to nipple confusion
directly.

It is anecdotal experience (as is much of what we do).  In my experience it
is usually bottle PREFERENCE rather than actual "confusion" that causes a
baby to refuse the breast after having bottles.  They prefer the fast,
constant flow.  But sometimes a baby who was doing okay starts getting
bottles and changes the position of their tongue (humped up in back of
mouth) to protect themselves from the onslaught of milk, then tries to do
that at the breast...and depending on mom's anatomy, may be unable to stay
on, or start pinching from not being on far enough, or park on a long nipple
and not get any milk.  OR a baby who was not doing okay gets their bad
habits rewarded by bottle-feeding.

Kathy Leeper, MD, IBCLC