From:
Margaret A Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 20:39:59 EDT
If Mupirocin isn't working in 3-5 days, I have folks discontinue it; if
it doesn't work by then they need an oral antibiotic.  Usually they don't
use it longer than 1 week total.  I suspect this woman is allergic or
sensitive to something in the base or could be the medication itself.  If
the "infection" has not cleared enough by now, I would treat with oral
antibiotic like erythromycin.  Either way I'd discontinue the mupirocin.
I don't know about wiping it off before nursing--probably just to make
the doc "feel better."  I had someone use it on the breast once but not
on the nipple per se.  I don't think it would hurt to "wipe it off."
It's only applied 3x day so may be able to find times to apply that
aren't too close to nursing times.

Margaret A.  Wright, PA-C