From:
Pat A Bucknell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 19:10:49 -0500
Dear Dr. Jen,
We don't have any family practitioners in my area who deliver babies.
How lucky for your patients to be able to see just one doc for the family
health concerns and who will be at baby's birth!!

I want to second the suggestion for a BF moms' support group.  I am
facilitating one now at one of the local hospitals (I don't work on the
OB unit, but do teach the prenatal BF classes) and I think the moms who
come have casually lengthened the time they intend to BF.

Another thing that might help is to offer a lactation visit (through a
local private practice IBCLC) to all of your BF new moms. This lactation
visit would take place within 2-3 days of discharge to make sure all is
going well.  If things are not going well, then problems could be nipped
in the bud.  You could make arrangements to pay the LC (per visit, by the
hour, etc) and bill the mom's insurance through your office.  This LC (or
even a local LLL leader) could also do phone follow-up a few days after
the visit and be available to the mom as needed.  As you are well aware,
new moms are so fragile and just need little strokes to keep going.

Again, your patients are so lucky to have you.  Thanks for your support
of BF babies and their moms!

Warmly,
Pat Bucknell, IBCLC
Avon Lake OH--far western suburb of Cleveland