From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2008 20:30:16 -0500
Hi Evelyn!
Right now I use a simple folder system for followup. I have my routine
return appts (1-2 days post discharge, usually, and they return as needed)
and my phone calls, all these filed chronologically.
When I did longer f/u just to check bf rates, I would just grab the June
folder, for example, where I filed all my "finished" clients. And then I'd
go thru them to do a 3 mo followup in September.
When I worked in Slidell, we used a simple binder, where we kept all the
moms we had to call back with the call back date written in the upper right
corner. If we had to call them again, we just put them to the back of the
binder, in chronological order.
In Mississippi and in Slidell, whoever was the LC on for the day would do
the f/u calls each afternoon.
So I know this info is not exactly what you are looking for, but just wanted
to say that I get each mom's phone no. while they are an inpatient, I don't
look at the chart, but ask the mom what is the best number to have. Often
they give me their cell no.
Also wanted to say that after 6 wks, it became very difficult to reach
people by phone, as many moms returned to paid employment. Also, becoz of
privacy guidelines, it was difficult to leave a specific message and generic
messages were usually not returned. Also came across many phone numbers
changed or disconnected.
Hope you have better success with your followup and using a computer to do
it should make it much easier.
By the way, how did you fare in the Hurricane, and please be careful with
IKE.
Miss you and all the Louisiana folks,
Laurie

Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC