Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 10:37:53 EDT

Pst writes:

a person  with burns needs extra calories to heal, it's an astronomical #
:-(   Perhaps some tinkering with pumped milk ala Rush NICU, plus some
fortifier  a few times everyday, will be enough with ad lib  nursing.

Pat,
Agreed. It's moot now, by the time the mom and I even got to talk, she had
started the bottles of her expressed milk with the fortifiers. I learned more
of  this sad situation: baby was burned over a week ago, deep second degree
from  what she describes, and has not healed well thus far, will now need a skin
graft  over the mandible where the burn was deepest. I gave her tons of
support to keep  nursing and pumping ( they are alternating each feeding), going
with the baby's  "regression" to nurse every 2 hours instead of every 3-4, for
healing, both  physical and emotional, and we went over paced, upright feeding
to keep as much  of a relaxed, but active feeding thing going during the
bottlefeeds. I ran over  to her apt. to give her inlaws the bottle I hope will work
better than what they  have in the hospital just now and she will have it in
an hour. I figure it's the  least I can do in such a tragic situation.
I never got responses from the docs I reached out to, so thanks for your
response, Pat.

Peace,
Judy