From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2003 12:19:30 +0900
>     I know the asymetric latch works and have used it for dozens of
>women.  Is it true that baby gets a little bit higher percentage of the
>areola?  And why does it feel more comfortable for a mom?
>     Thanks in advance for answers.
>     Susan in Minn

Susan, this is well-demonstrated by Diane Wiessinger's article where
she talks about using a water-filled balloon. See J Hum Lact 1998;
14: 51-56.

Partially fill a round balloon with water and tie off. Apply lipstick
to your lips. Then try 'attaching' to the slightly pointy bit of the
balloon, as a baby would the breast with a flat nipple, opposite the
tied-off end. Try a straight on latch and then look at the mark from
the lipstick. Repeat with an asymmetrical latch and just see the
difference in how much balloon was inside your mouth.

Diane suggests that you should squash the balloon a little to make it
more like a sandwich, but it works even if you don't do this bit as
well.

I did this at a conference of ABA (was then NMAA) counsellors. It was
a very entertaining exercise! (Had them all in fits of laughter, and
Peter Hartmann was watching at the time, and he was also highly
amused! LOL) However, it gets the message across and it shows very
graphically why the asymmetrical latch works.

Thanks, Diane, for thinking up this demonstration.

Joy