From:
"Palmer, Joan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 1996 23:59:28 -0500
This being my first post to Lactnet, I would like to introduce myself. I am
a RN working at a medical center in Kalamazoo, Michigan (yes there really is
a Kalamazoo!) Currently, I am involved in our lactation and prenatal
programs. Having lurked for many months, I have to say how much I have
learned from all of my esteemed colleagues! I also favor the shorter posts,
so I will get to the point.

Marie-regarding the lady with the bad back:  relaxin is made during
pregnancy by the placenta. I doubt that this is the cause of her back pain
now. Hopefully, if she was hospitalized, they did a complete work-up on her.
Something else must be going on.

Catching up on my posts, I noticed several answers to questions that Dr.
Dettwyler posed. In regards to the question about using soap on the nipples,
I recall hearing that in the Lancet (maybe in the past year) there was some
research done that advised mothers not to use soap because it washed her
'scent' off and the baby had a harder time locating the nipple to
breastfeed. Anyone else recall this?

KC is approaching fast and I am excited. It will be great to meet everyone
in person.

Joan Palmer, RNC, IBCLC, ACCE