Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 07:42:22 -0700
The Med/Surg Unit calls for an LC and she rolls up an electric pump with collection kit, bottles & caps and teaches mom how to pump. She can store her milk in a tub of ice. Keep it fresh, Don't let the cap submerge. Family to bring proper transport container daily. Can use our internal tube system to have more bottles/caps sent from our Dept to their Dept. Pump right up to the moment she is taken to surgery and resume as soon as she is back in her room. Full documentation with instructions in mom's chart. Use mom's PID stickers on all bottles. Helps avoid unintended throw-aways.

We go everywhere with pumps: MICU, SICU, Burn Unit, Adult ED, Peds ED, CCU, Med/Surg. I bring my Hale book because there is often someone who questions mom's meds and has already told her to pump and dump. Even when I show evidence otherwise to RN, mom, and possibly the doc if he's available, It's hard to overcome mom's underlying fear of her own milk after the doctor has said....

Occasionally I run into a nurse who never does PostPartum and get the "eeeuuuu" reaction to pumping. I explain to her that mom needs her support to avoid engorgement which can lead to a fever which can buy her another day in the hospital. That usually motivates the "eeeuuuu" nurse to help.

If it's not RSV season, family can bring baby in to nurse.

Once, a mom had her baby stay with her, but she had a private room and a family member there 24 hours to care for babe. Very rare situation, both for a private room at my hosp and for 24 hour family member.

Phyllis

--
Phyllis Adamson, IBCLC, RLC
Glendale, AZ.