From:
"David A. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 17:52:28 EST
In a message dated 12/11/98 4:17:36 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I am beginning not to "buy" having a possible history of sexual abuse as a
 socially acceptable "reason" for a mother not to breastfeed.  >>

Another "reason" for not breastfeeding that I am beginning to doubt is one
that I use to hear was that the dad would be jealous of the baby having
something that use to "belong" exclusively to dad or the one that dad will
feel left out.
Is it just me but I am seeing more & more dads wanting, insisting,
encouraging, "pushing" the mom to breastfeed; whereas it is now more often the
mom who is expressing doubt and/or insincerity about breastfeeding.
I know that my wife was hesitant about breastfeeding our children and while I
did not "force" the issue, I "gently" encouraged (okay, I begged! <g>) her to
consider it.  She did it and never never regrets it to this day and gleefully
encourages every new mom to breastfeed her infant.  OBTW, she is a pediatric
RN who is a great help, resource, encouragement to breastfeeding moms.  She
does not have the credentials of a LC but she has the "battle ribbons" to show
for it, if you know what I mean.
And yes, I was jealous and felt left out.  NOT!  Just kidding!  <g>
Andrew MD FAAP