From:
sally myer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:57:58 -0800
Cathy gave us a link to an article in a Men's Health magazine on preventing childhood obesity:  "Well the Men's Health Magazine did better than NurseWeek, In their November issue they included an article that listed Ten things that can help prevent childhood obesity".
http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article/0,6916,s1-4-0-0-809-3-6X12X17-4,00.html

On the same page as the mention of breastfeeding is the following step (#7):
According to the Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 77 percent of principals said their schools had contracts with soft-drink companies--virtually floating most school activities on a sticky brown tide. And just consider the fact that Coke has signed on as a "sponsor" of the National PTA, and has a seat on the board. Can the Coca-Classroom be far behind? "Vending machines are like Superfund sites with push buttons," rages Dr. Katz.

It's quite appalling how hospitals/Dr's offices "sell out" our babies in the US by doing the advertising for formula companies and "we" continue to do it to our older kids when they get into school.  I say "we" because I don't hear our society objecting.  Most parents I know value their children above all else (or at least they believe that they do) but it's amazing the compromises in that value we (collectively, our society) are willing to accept when money is involved.  Having said that, though, I'm not doing much to try to change things either.  I just think the fact that these things go on say alot about our culture-how will we look when future generations look back on us?  Hopefully some social consciousness will arise and it won't be worse then?
Sally Myer