From:
Maureen Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:19:02 -0500
Pauline,
How about using a nipple shield to transition him to breast?  She can place it over the SNS.  Also, if he doesn't have the stamina to breastfeed efficiently, the shield may help him to increase the flow from his mother.  I work in a NICU as an LC and we have used shields for this purpose before.  She should also use breast compression while she is nursing to increase flow and promote complete emptying.  This may also hep increase her milk supply.
As far as her freezer stash is concerned, she should use some frozen breast milk each day, maybe a feed or two a day until it runs out to get some protection from her milk for a longer period of time.
She may want to consider Reglan or Domperidone(depending on its availability) to increase her supply.
Good luck!
Maureen Allen RN, BSN, IBCLC
Boston, MA