From:
Paul & Kathy Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 07:53:36 -0400
Barbara wrote:

> I also wish there were better diagnostic tools to assess breast lumps in
> women's breasts (lactating or not.)    But  the truth is that one of the
> biggest risks to women is underdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis of breast
> cancer.  It's certainly the largest area of malpractice litigation.

This is a subject near to my heart (literally, I suppose).  My mother and
grandmother are breast cancer survivors.  My mother was diagnosed this
April, shortly after I discovered lump #4 in my breast in the past 3 years.
My family practice doc felt the lump and sent to me the breast clinic at a
large, respected military facility.  Unfortunately, there I could not
convince the surgeon that there was really a lump.  I went back a second
time and he still couldn't feel it (and neither could the other docs he sent
in). I thought I was losing my mind.  Says the doctor, "I have examined over
1000 breasts."  I answered "But you have only examined mine twice".

The US was negative and a mammogram was deemed unnecessary (I'm 31 and
breastfeeding my 3 year old).  He was going to dismiss me again but I argued
and cried and got a biopsy.  The results were negative with lots of "ductal
dilation" and fibrocystic changes.

>She is probably going to
>survive to raise this baby -- and her other kids -- thanks to the biopsy.
>So I hate it that there are some women who have to undergo surgery for no
>good reason (in retrospect) but there surely are women who are lucky
someone
>pursued a dx.

Amen.  I didn't see my surgeon again once he left the operating room (not
even for my follow-up), but he told my husband afterwards that he thought it
was unnecessary surgery.  Of course, in hindsight it was.  The area was
benign, but we didn't know that at the time.  I was so upset by this whole
thing.  We are told repeatedly to take changes in our breasts and bodies to
our doctors.  I did and was sent away.  I told the doctor that quite
frankly, I didn't care if *he* couldn't feel it.  I could and I wasn't going
to leave it there.  I want to know why I could feel this lump, as could my
husband, the family practice doc, the chaperone nurse in the office, but not
the surgeon or oncologist. My outcome was good.  My family history is scary.
My mother's malignancy did not show up on mammogram.  I am now
rambling...but wanted to second Barbara's thoughts above.  Breast cancer is
rampant, even in young, lactating women and I intend to be here to raise my
3 children.

Kathy
Kathy Koch, BSEd, IBCLC
LLL Leader, AAPL