From:
"Vincent G. Huml" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 19:50:47 EDT
Sue Huml, LLLL, IBCLC
Lansinoh Laboratories, Director of Education

Just catching up on Lactnet and saw that in the past couple of days there have
been a number of questions and statements about lanolin as a treatment option
for nipple soreness.  I sincerely hope that I am abiding by the Lactnet rules
when I try to address some of these concerns.  Being of the opinion that
"knowledge is power", I offer the following information for your empowerment!

To the Lactnet poster who writes " Despite claims to the contrary I have heard
of significant allergic response to all of the marketed brands", I have some
very good news.  There is one modified lanolin on the market that may be used
with complete confidence of safety on the most sensitive or compromised skin,
and there is extensive scientific and clinical documentation to substantiate
this claim.

It is true that there are many refinements of lanolin that are contraindicated
for use by breastfeeding mothers due to concerns related to environmental
impurities and allergenic components.  The USP took an important step in writing
a new monograph for Modified Lanolin as a way from distinguishing it from
standard USP lanolin.  It is important to know, however, that there are many
refinements of modified lanolin available.  There is only one modified lanolin
that has been scientifically proven through extensive clinical trials on lanolin
sensitive and compromised skin.  Trials were conducted in three European
hospitals which substantiate this. (Contact Dermatitis 1981:80-83 Clark et al)
Simply put, when total combined pesticide residues in lanolin are reduced to 1
part per million or below and naturally occuring free lanolin alcohol levels are
reduced to 1.5% or below in COMBINATION with detergent residues at 0.05% or
below, researchers failed to elicit any allergic response among a lanolin
sensitive population.  Only one USP modified lanolin refines to this level. Only
one USP modified lanolin even tests for detergent residues.  Even when the free
lanolin alcohol levels were at 2.1 or 2.2 allergic responses were noted.  Ask
the manufacturer for a Certificate of Analaysis, check it out carefully.

To state that the use of lanolin is placing something ARTIFICIAL on nipples is
to misunderstand the composition of modified lanolin.  The biochemical origin of
lanolin and our own skin oil, sebum is identical.  Lanolin is an organic ester
and as such is a completely natural material.

To say that USP modified lanolin offers a placebo effect (even though this was
stated in an IMHO frame by the Lactnet poster) diminishes the breastfeeding
womans' ability to accurately report her own experience.  I would invite the
writer to use modified lanolin on a cut or abrasion on her own body and observe
the immidiate pain relief and faster healing without scab formation.

During the 1995 La Leche League International Conference (Chicago) a written
questionaire was completed by 409 LLL Leaders and Lactation Consultants.  The
first question was: Have you assisted mothers with cracked nipples using the
dual approach of positioning AND moist wound healing  with L------h?  341
responded Yes and 68 responded no.  The next question was, Do you find this dual
approach to cracked nipples superior to positioning alone?  335 responded Yes 72
responded either don't know/ not used or not a Leader and 2 responded no.  That
means that of those who had used the dual approach 98% achieved superior
results.  I admit this is not scientific research but really, can 335 LLL
Leaders be wrong?  In addition, clinical studies were conducted by two Board
Certified Dermatologists which clearly show accelerated healing and no eschar
formation when using this modified lanolin.

If anyone would like to receive copies of the Questionaire responses taken at
the LLL International Conference, any of the clinical or scientific
documentation I referred to,  or a lanolin update sheet or have any other
questions on this topic, please e mail me direct and let me know your snail mail
address & phone #..
Thanks

Sue Huml, LLLL, IBCLC
Lansinoh Laboratories