From:
"S. Heaton" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:16:41 +1100
Hi all,

I hope you've been having a nice end of year and that 2008 is looking good.

I'm wondering if anyone has read this book and their thoughts on it.

Treating Parent-Infant Relationship Problems: Strategies for Intervention (Hardcover)
by Arnold J. Sameroff (Editor), Susan C. McDonough (Editor), Katherine L. Rosenblum (Editor) "This book is about relationship problems, but more broadly it is about infant mental health..."

"Within a developmental framework, this book guides the clinician to understand the different types of problems that parents have with infants and to determine how a given family might best be served--whether by addressing health concerns that are affecting infant behaviour, modifying parental beliefs or expectations, or improving key caregiving skills. Leading interdisciplinary experts detail their respective therapeutic models in a practical, clinician-friendly format, including intervention guidelines and illustrative case material. Special topics covered include working with families of infants with special needs and with those at risk for child maltreatment"
http://tinyurl.com/yq4czw

Bringing it back to breastfeeding, I'm looking at how to help mothers of infants with gastro-oesophageal reflux, including those who are breastfeeding.  Even when breastfeeding these babies are still at risk of mental health issues and some of them at risk of harm. While I'm aware that there are babies who are diagnosed with reflux who don't have it, there are also families under huge pressure due to genuine reflux.  In many cases parents are offered little practical help or understanding, often just being told to wait it out, or medicate and/or wean by health professionals.

This book sounds useful but I really would like a personal opinion before I buy it.

Thanks muchly
Suzie Heaton
Australia