From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 11:34:08 +0900
>Why is milk white?  Can't be the fat;  skim milk is white.  Can't be the
>sugar; sugar water is clear. What makes it white?

I thought it was a combination of the fat globules and casein. Emulsions in
general are white and 'milky' and contain suspended, insoluble matter, like
fat globules in milk. I understood that skim cow's milk looks whiter than
skim human milk because of the higher casein content.

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]