From:
Holly McSpadden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:10:34 -0400
Be careful about assuming that insurance is covering individual items given
during the hospital stay. Our hospital (like most hospitals in the US) Gets paid
a lump sum regardless of the length of stay or supplies used. This amount is
negotiated by the hospital and whoever is providing the plan coverage. The
amount depends on whether the delivery is a vaginal or c-section. Medicaid
(at least in the state of Georgia) works much the same way. We get the same
amount no matter what supplies are used or whether the mother stays 24
hours or longer based on type of delivery. (that's why the focus is on early
discharge and LOS).

Also, in most cases those $6.00 flanges are "mega marked up" when dispensed
through the hospital. (eg last time I checked our hospital was charging
$115.00 for a double pump kit!) This is standard procedure throughout the
industry.

Holly McSpadden, IBCLC