From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 05:37:46 -0600
Could someone please email me the ethics statement from ILCA where it says
that you shouldn't accept money from infant formula companies?  I am trying
to protest the recent announcement by my university that the 1998 nutrition
conference will have someone from Ross Labs as the keynote speaker.  She's
going to talk about women's health and nutrition issues.  I'm about ready to
resign my position as a member of the Nutrition faculty over this.  Several
years ago they had Dr. Samuel Fomon as one of the speakers -- he does
research on infant nutrition and is funded by formula companies.  One of the
things he said at the conference was that babies must be limited in their
time at the breast, and rigidly scheduled (a la Gary Ezzo) or else they
would become obese in later life.  He suggested that mothers remove the baby
from the breast during a feed at the first indication of their willingness
to be removed.
Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Nutrition
Texas A&M University