From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 1996 14:01:17 -0500
Lisa,

Somewhere I read/heard/? that the reason for the 4-6 months was that ABM fed
babies needed the vitamins, iron, etc. that was in the solid foods at 4
months because the formula wasn't adequate for their needs beyond four
months.  Brfed babies didn't need it until around 6 months -- so as not to
offend anyone, the AAP made the recommendation 4-6 months so that it covered
everyone.  (But, maybe this is all wishful thinking on my part.  Anyone else
"hear" this?)

You're right; peds are more interested in the calendar (and the baby's total
weight) than they are in readiness cues.  Are we the ONLY ones that look at
what babies TELL us?

Jan B.