Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 12:40:45 EDT
 Naomi wrote

<< I think that it will be difficult and I'm not even sure it's apropriate to
 >get a commitment from new mothers to nurse for at least two years.
 >HOw much and certainly how long to nurse are very personal commitments

I agree strongly.  Moreover, among a lot of people who are not accustomed to
the b/f scene but *are* committed to doing whatever they believe to be the
best thing for their babies, b/f advocates already have too much of a bad rap
as "fanatics," etc, who want everyone to b/f "whether or not it's best for
me."   Persuasion and coaxing and reassurance will all help b/f initiation,
and that will help b/f duration.  Making the first person who tells you how
easy and worthwhile it will be for you to breastfeed your child into the
breastfeeding police is a recipe for undermining our credibility and our
ability to help these moms and babes.

ESU