From:
"kirk b. spear" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 23:17:42 -0800
Hi all!  This is Jill, I'm a LLL Leader in California.  I wanted to make a
few comments.

First an apology, last week I posted a personal plea.  I felt compelled to
be truthful rather than ask for "a mom".  As a reminder I have severe
psoriasis (50-70% coverage) and psoriatic arthritis.  I'm currently nursing
a 10 month old, literally! I'm taking meds - Prozac 40 mg., Hydrocodone as
needed fo pain, and Klonopin to releive anxiety which promotes flairs of the
skin lesions.  The decision to take these meds. was very hard as I was so
careful not to take anything with my other 2 children.  I've had these
conditions years although this is the worst they have ever been.

Regarding St. Johns Wort and herbs.  I have been working with a Master
Herbalist for about 8 months.  Her feeling is that very few herbs are
contraindicated in pregnancy and breastfeeding.  You want to stay away from
anything that brings on menstration and harsh laxatives.  She stated "All
herbs could be harful if taken in large doses".  I think it's importasnt
that we look at herbs just like meds.  I also would recomend finding a
professional herbalist or finding some good books.  Don't rely on the clerk
at the health food store.  If someone decides to take herbs they need to
make sure their purchasing them from a reputable company.

Melissa and Lyla - In "The Green Pharmacy" by James A Duke he states that
St. Johns Wort is an MAO inhibitor which can have food interactions, (wine
cheese and many other foods).  He also says to avoid it during pregnancy,
nothing on BF though.  Melissa, I wonder if you had an allergic reaction, or
food interaction.

Gloria - regarding Klonopin and anti depresents:  did you notice Dr. Jacks
post.  This was the clincher in my decision, the long half life and one case
study with such low micrograms in the newborn.  I can't remember where I saw
that refrence Hale or Lawrence?  If the mom is concerned about post-partum
psychosis I would reasure her that there are other meds available.

Cynthia - Thanks so much for the info on Methotrexate.  ALL my MD's are
urging me to wean my ten month old and start this med.  My husband and I are
loath to do it though.  I'm very concerned about the side effects,
especially to future pregnancies.  Also we're very concerned about my
depression which might be compounded by weaning so early.  My other children
nursed til they were 3 years old.

Speaking of Doctors I just have to say that I have nursed my baby at all my
appointments with various health care professionals including -
rhuemetoligist (whose only comment was "You had another one?!?"), allergist,
optometrist (not during eye exam though!), orthopidist, accupuncturist,
osteo-path, dentist, older daughters orthodontist, herbalist...of yeah and
of course the mid wives!  I have never had a negative comment or had one of
them say I shouldn't have brought her.  I guess that by now they all know
I'm a breastfeeding fanatic.  Although I don't think they understand why we
don't just wean and go on the MTX.

I'm sorry this got so lengthy.  I hope this info is helpful.  If anyone has
questions about herbs I would be happy to look it up in my books.  I've
certainly done my research!

LLLove to all,   Jill