Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:06:22 -0500
 When I have helped moms with induced lactation, I consider the moms' personalities. Some moms want to do nothing more than put a baby to breast with a supplementer and nurse, while others want to do anything and everything. If mom is frustrated, she may be more inclined to want o do more. While I have had great success with domperidone, I think it works best in combination with herbs. At the very least, and simplest, mom can order goat's rue and More MIlk Plus from Motherlove. I usually add a tea that mom drinks by the quart, but some moms are not up for it. I also consider diet very carefully. If mom is eating a nutrient-poor diet, (not by the SAD standards, but as compared with a nutrient-dense diet), we may make significant changes. I always have moms add EFAs and a green food. I also encourage a Lactaid, co-sleeping and sling-wearing for most moms.

For the mom with 4th baby--no milk. I am guessing that you have considered the obvious--hypoplasia, PCOS (not as likely since she has 4 children, but certainly possible), any prior breast surgery or injury, so putting all of those aside, I would look at oxytocin, structure and galactogogues.

First, I wonder about the births of the other babies--all babies grow in the same pelvis, unless there is injury between births. I have seen many patterns repeat in families for this very reason. So, aside form the issue of there being enough milk, perhaps this baby needs some structural work (I would even argue that given he was breech, he absolutely needs it). Secondly, I have mentioned before that I have a friend who had no problems with her milk supply after both of her cesareans, but after both of her vaginal births had no milk until she had a chiropractic adjustment. I have also encouraged moms to use acupuncture as to release energy blocks, especially Asian moms.

When you say baby is feeding with a supply line, do you mean finger-feeding? How about just using the tube under the nipple shield? He may be more willing to latch with a flow of milk at breast. I would also consider oxytocin nasal spray if mom has a history of engorgement, but no flow. I had one client for whom this was the issue--with the third baby, we finally figured it out and with the oxytocin, her supply came in within days, With the first, it never really did (I saw her at 6 weeks, though) and with the second, it took 5 months! I would also use goat's rue, MoremIlkPlus or a tea blend if mom is willing and domperidone.

Lastly, there is nothing more powerfult than what we believe to be true. If this is her history, she has only "failure" to rely upon as a resource. I always use energy in these situations, such as EFT (emofree.com) or TAT (tatlife.com) to help mom reorganize her belief system.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC