From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 15:25:44 +0800
>The general rule is that if you have problems with cow's milk, you will/may
>have problems with goat's milk because goat's milk contains the allergy-
>provoking protein casein and it also contains milk sugar lactose.
>Andrew MD

I agree with the first part of this statement, as it is still 'foreign',
but I wasn't sure about the second bit. My understanding is that it is the
beta-lactoglobulin in cow's milk that is the most likely to cause allergy
problems - there is no equilalent protein in human milk, just alpha
lactoglobulin.

Is casein the same in different species? I really don't know on this one,
but human milk *does* contain casein, just less than cow's milk. However, I
didn't think that this was a major allergen compared to other proteins, but
I am willing to be educated more on this.

'Milk sugar lactose' is the same in all species - lactose is a relatively
simple (disaccharide) sugar that consists of glucose and galactose units
joined together, biochemically the same everywhere, and human milk has more
of it than any other species.

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]